STEP2020: Spring Training in Experimental (Psycho)Linguistics
Dates: 05/25/2020 to 05/30/2020
Location: University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
Focus: Advancing the methodological skills and conceptual prowess of students of linguistics and psycholinguistics since 2014.
The Centre for Comparative Psycholinguistics (CCP, University of Alberta Department of Linguistics) organizes a week long Spring Training Workshop in current issues and methods in psycholinguistics. This 7th STEP will take place in Edmonton, Alberta, May 25-30, 2020. The Spring School is directed at postdoctoral fellows, graduate and advanced undergraduate students, and anyone else interested in learning how to turn their research ideas into concrete steps towards experimental designs, data collection and analysis using advanced experimental and statistical methods.
STEP 2020 Instructors and Courses
- Yu-Ying Chuang & Harald Baayen (Eberhard Karls University Tübingen) – Modeling lexical processing with Linear Discriminative Learning – An introduction to the discriminative lexicon with the WpmWithL dl package for R
- Stefan Th. Gries (UC Santa Barbara & Justus Liebig University Gießen) – Corpus-linguistic text processing with R
- Aki-Juhani Kyröläinen & Vincent Porretta (McMaster University) – Generalized Additive Modeling – Advanced statistical methods for psycholinguistics
- Elena Nicoladis (University of Alberta) – Nonverbal communication – Gestures and speech
- Annika Nijveld & Benjamin V. Tucker (University of Alberta) – Speech in psycholinguistics
Certified courses (with an optional assessment component)
- Liam Blything (University of Alberta) – Creating a visual world paradigm step-by-step using Experiment Builder
- Isabell Hubert Lyall (University of Alberta) – Introduction to R for experimental data processing
- Aki-Juhani Kyröläinen & Vincent Porretta (McMaster University) – Introduction to linear mixed-effects regression using R
Fees: CAD390 + GST. The workshop fee includes attendance, workshop materials, tea/coffee, light snacks and lunches (6 days).
Registration Dates: 03/30/2020 to 05/15/2020
Contact person information: Lindsay Griener, CCP Coordinator
Phone: +1 780 492 7560
Apply online: http://ccp.artsrn.ualberta.ca/
Registration Instructions: Please see the website for registration. Online registration will open on March 30, 2020 and close on May 15 2020. Onsite registration is possible – after May 15, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.